Survey Technician III – Newmont Mining Corporation Vacancies
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region.
There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves.
The company is recruiting a Survey Technician III to:
- contribute to and participate in providing a detailed survey and evaluation service, through the use of scientific survey tools and equipment
- retain optimum mining levels of the ore body and maintain the longevity of a continuous ore supply.
Health, Safety and Environment
- Deliver own prescribed outcomes and / or provide support services, by applying Newmont’s Health, Safety and Environment systems, policies and protocols.
- Assure that safety standards are adhered to.
- Attend monthly safety inspections and meetings.
Survey Data Calculation and Aggregation
- Compile obtained data from various sources to generate maps.
- Collect, measure, record and calculate survey work / field data based on readings obtained from instrumentation and channel inputs into designated systems.
- Check spatial data to verify the integrity and accuracy of data for QA / QC purposes.
- Plot the survey results emerging out of the spatial data.
- Work in conjunction with Surveyors, Geologists and Mine Engineers to confirm that data is accurately collected, presented and utilised.
- Assist Surveyors on the field to conduct and undertake the surveys works for the Mine.
- Maximise effective vehicle and product movements by undertaking routine surveys to measure movements to and from the mining pit and product stockpiles.
- Assist in other field work to contribute to other Mine requirements.
- Establish, operate and adjust equipment at surveying job sites.
- Insert flagging’s around pegs and tapes for blasted material by digging polygon boundaries.
- Control pit and / or bench limits through the picking and staking out of crests and pit boundaries.
- Place controls in the mining area by battering profiles and conducting highwall integrity checks.
- Assist in controlling pit / waste dump limits through the determination of line definitions and examination of problem areas.
- Operate field GPS, GIS and ArcGIS Equipment to determine as-built pickups for volume calculations and defining field points for the Mining Engineers.
- Inspect, adjust, test and monitor the performance of Survey equipment, GPS, GIS, ArcGIS and other related systems.
- Maintain and regularly calibrate surveying instruments and equipment to enable continuous and accurate operation of mining activities.
- Prepare topographic maps, aerial photo mosaics, and other custom land survey products, as required.
- Conduct quality assurance checks on surveys and provide recommendations on any technical issues encountered.
- Commit to attending scheduled training and play an active role on ones’ own ongoing professional development.
Survey Planning and Preparation
- Assist in the planning of field surveys for the Mine (i.e. Underground and Open Pit).
- Mark the location of new Mine works and set up reference points as benchmarks.
- Contribute to the preparation of detailed drawings, charts and Mine plans.
- Assist in the planning of routine maintenance and attend to any equipment variances that may arise.
- Lay out blast patterns (i.e. drill patterns, after-drill pick-ups and ore control polygons), prior to blasting activities.
- Assemble and disassemble markings, stakes and other signifiers at pre-determined survey locations.
Survey Outcome Reporting
- Compile survey notes and reports and deliver report outcomes to the Surveyor for final review and decision making.
Training & Experience
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Senior School Certificate Examination.
- Certification of completion in Survey related training.
- Competency training at Ghana Survey Skills.
- Sound knowledge of planning and scheduling.
- Sound knowledge of the work management process.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in the Mine Surveying field within an Open Pit mining environment.