How to win Lotto in South Africa – Powerball & Mega Millions
In this article, we have outlined the steps involved in winning a lottery – playing Powerball and Mega millions.
How to play Powerball
To play PowerBall, you must pick five main numbers from 1 to 50 and one PowerBall from 1 to 20. Draws are held on Tuesdays and Fridays at 21:00 South Africa Standard Time (SAST), and it costs R5 per line.
You can also choose to add PowerBall Plus to your ticket, giving you an extra chance to win millions.
How to Win PowerBall
The objective is to match the numbers you choose with those drawn in the lottery.
The more numbers you match, the bigger your prize. You need to match all five main numbers plus the PowerBall to win the jackpot, but there are also eight other ways to win. Visit the Dividends page to find out how many numbers you need to match in each division.
How to Win Mega Millions
We assume that you know how to play Mega millions. You must be aged 18 or over to play this game.
You have to pick five main numbers between 1 and 70, and one Mega Ball between 1 and 25. This game costs $2 to play.
You can enable the Megaplier for US$1 per draw, with your non-jackpot prizes multiplied by the number drawn on the night. The potential Megapliers are 2x, 3x, 4x or 5x.
There are nine winning prize tiers in Mega Millions, with prizes awarded for matching anything from just the Mega Ball. To win the jackpot a player must match all five main numbers plus the Mega Ball.
Other online options for playing Lotto in South Africa
There are a number of other online services that offer you the option of playing Lotto from the palm of your hand. However, before you play, make sure that these services are legit. If you are not sure – it’s best to contact the National Lottery to confirm the services are authentic. The lotto’s toll free customer care line is: 0800 484 822
Other Ways to Play
- You also have various other options for how to participate in PowerBall.
- You can use your mobile to select your own numbers or a Quick Pick via SMS, or request a Quick Pick through USSD.
- You can also buy tickets from alternative sales channels such as a cash register or automatic machine where PowerBall is available.
- Another option is to enter through First National Bank, either by using the online banking service or a dedicated app. You just need to have an account with the bank.
- Log in to choose your game, select ‘play now’, pick your numbers and buy your entry. You can make your purchase on your account or with your eBucks.
When do lottery ticket sales close?
If you are buying your tickets from an existing Lottery outlet, they close at 20:30 on the day of a draw.
The terms and conditions for other lotto services vary – please read them when you sign up for these services.